Thursday, March 30, 2006

What on earth were they thinking?!

Apparently Reebok decided a while ago that it would be a great idea to do a giveaway with some of its shoes... so they gave away this cute little charm bracelet:

What's very not cute about this is that it's 99% lead - and a four-year-old boy recently died in Minnesota after swallowing the heart piece of the charm. The bracelets are apparently "only dangerous if kids chew on them, suck on them, or swallow any part of them." Well gee, isn't that the sort of thing kids usually do?

Yeurgh. What were they thinking? Lead is a well-known neurotoxin. That's why we got rid of lead-based paints and why we've been trying to switch to unleaded gasoline, y'all!

And young children will actually absorb 50% of ingested lead whereas us adults only absorb about 10%.

Reebok has recalled the bracelet and says they're going to try and find out what happened. I'm not sure if that's good enough in the face of such obvious risk and stupidity.

1 comment:

Heather said...

They gave it away with their children's shoes - stupidity squared.