Thursday, March 02, 2006

Brilliant thoughts are elusive

I always seem to have my best thoughts when I'm in the middle of something... like carrying the groceries home or when I'm out for a run. Ages afterwards, I can only ever recall that it seemed like a brilliant thought! - but not what it was. (Hmmm... maybe that means it wasn't that great in the first place...)

I've often thought it would be interesting and scary if we could somehow have a record of every single thought we ever had. I picture it as a huge, real-time scroll of paper that just keeps on getting longer.

Aside from the fact that it would be mostly not all that revelatory... and probably contain a lot of repetition (especially when something's worrying us)... and a lot of boring stuff (like grocery lists), I would love to be able to go back and find out what was on my mind when I was, say, ten - or when major events were happening in either my personal life or in my community.

And figure out what it was that I thought was such a good idea when I was on my way home this afternoon.

No comments: