Thursday, April 20, 2006

Etiquette I never learned

I was at one of those social gatherings yesterday where everyone stands around chatting, there are hors d'oeuvres circulating, and platters of fruit and veggies, crackers and cheese...

I can NEVER figure out how you're supposed to manage it: I'm chatting, drink in hand, and someone comes around with a tray of spring rolls and sushi. Yum. So I take the proffered napkin. NOW what am I supposed to do - how to pick up the food - since both hands are now occupied? And then, even more complicated, how do you eat it? I can sort of manage this if I only pick up one item, by mashing the napkin against my glass while I pick up the food (yesterday, this resulted in a soggy napkin since I was having a cold drink and the glass was "sweating").

It's even worse if I stop at a table and load up my napkin with a selection of things and then pick up my drink and move away from the table.

Hmmm. Maybe you're not really supposed to "load up your napkin". Ah well, I'm not exactly the rep for "Dainty R Us".

(PHOTO: A RESTAURANT IN MICHIGAN CALLED BJ'S. NEVER HEARD OF IT. LOOKS GOOD.)

No comments: