Sunday, February 12, 2006

remembered dreams

Have you ever had a dream that you recalled having before... but not until you were having it the second time? That happened to me last night.. and it's happened before.

This dream was some bizarro thing involving me and others escaping from the jungle down a river in a boat that was an upside-down, stretched-out beige baseball cap. Somehow from there we made it onto a streetcar in Toronto at night (one of those dream Torontos that doesn't look anything like the real thing but is instantly recognizable in the context of the dream).

That's when I remembered that I'd had the dream before, and that the streetcar is about to get into a catastrophic accident and we're all going to die. But his time, in my dream, the accident doesn't happen.

Truthfully, I think I'm a pretty even-keeled type of person, and usually reasonably happy with life in general, so I have no idea where this came from. Twice!! And I wonder: if, in the context of the second time around, I knew I should be dead from the first iteration of the dream, how am I still alive as the streetcar heads around that corner the second time?

No comments: