Monday, February 20, 2006

Not strictly religious


I wouldn't qualify as religious according to any sort of "official religion" definition, if I can put it that way.

And yet... I actually really kind of enjoy being in churches, especially when there aren't too many people around (the one in the picture is in Cuernevaca, Mexico). They can be real oases of quiet; so suited to reflection and meditation. I especially enjoy spending time sitting in the pews when I've been travelling - it's a break from the constant exploration of physical surroundings and the mental challenge of handling different cultures, customs, and language (this feeling doesn't really extend to packed "tourist-destination-cathedrals" by the way).

Good thing that pews are usually so uncomfortable or I'd be tempted to take my work and reading there instead of to the coffee shops!!

No comments: